Saturday, December 19, 2009

Rutherford B. Hayes 19th President 1877-1881


Rutherford B. Hayes 1822-1893

19th US President 1877-1881

Republican

First Lady Lucy Ware

Vice President William A. Wheeler

Hayes was instrumental to restoring the southern States becoming part of the Union again. Rutherford B. Hayes started civil service reform to end corruption and bribery in Government jobs.


Rutherford B. Hayes quotes:

I am a radical in thought (and principle) and a conservative in method (and conduct).
Rutherford B. Hayes

I am less disposed to think of a West Point education as requisite for this business than I was at first. Good sense and energy are the qualities required.
Rutherford B. Hayes

I am not liked as a President by the politicians in office, in the press, or in Congress. But I am content to abide the judgment the sober second thought of the people.
Rutherford B. Hayes

In avoiding the appearance of evil, I am not sure but I have sometimes unnecessarily deprived myself and others of innocent enjoyments.
Rutherford B. Hayes

It is the desire of the good people of the whole country that sectionalism as a factor in our politics should disappear...'
Rutherford B. Hayes

Law without education is a dead letter. With education the needed law follows without effort and, of course, with power to execute itself; indeed, it seems to execute itself.
Rutherford B. Hayes

No comments:

Post a Comment