Monday, December 14, 2009

Zachary Taylor 12th US President 1849-1850


Zachary Taylor 1784- 1850

12th US President

Whig

First Lady Margaret Taylor

Vice President Millard Fillmore

Zachary Taylor's administration was during the height of the nation's crisis over slavery. Taylor opposed many compromises to the Southern States threats of secession. His chief accomplishment is considered the Clayton-Bulwer Treaty which stated that neither the US nor Great Britain would have exclusive rights over any future canal through Central America.


Zachary Taylor quotes:

I have always done my duty. I am ready to die. My only regret is for the friends I leave behind me.
Zachary Taylor

It would be judicious to act with magnanimity towards a prostrate foe.
Zachary Taylor

No comments:

Post a Comment