Friday, December 18, 2009

Ulysses S. Grant 18th US President 1869-1877


Ulysses S. Grant 1822-1885

18th US President 1869-1877

Republican

First Lady Julia Boggs Dent

Vice Presidents Schuyler Colfax 1869-1873, Henry Wilson 1873-1875

U. S. Grant was a Civil War hero who supported the rights of the freed slaves and opposed the rise of the Ku Klux Klan. His greatest achievement during his administration was a settling of a dispute with Great Britain over an Alabama land claims.

U.S. Grant quotes:

Although a soldier by profession, I have never felt any sort of fondness for war, and I have never advocated it, except as a means of peace.
Ulysses S. Grant


Everyone has his superstitions. One of mine has always been when I started to go anywhere, accomplished.
Ulysses S. Grant

Hold fast to the Bible. To the influence of this Book we are indebted for all the progress made in true civilization and to this we must look as our guide in the future.
Ulysses S. Grant

I appreciate the fact, and am proud of it, that the attentions I am receiving are intended more for our country than for me personally.
Ulysses S. Grant

I have made it a rule of my life to trust a man long after other people gave him up, but I don't see how I can ever trust any human being again.
Ulysses S. Grant

I have never advocated war except as a means of peace.
Ulysses S. Grant

No comments:

Post a Comment